Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 2: The lie of free drinks.

It's the morning of day two, and already, I'm appreciating not waking up feeling dead.

I'm surrounded by temptation. At home last night, there are several open bottles of wine from the family get-together. This morning, I got upgraded to first class and lounge access. Free drinks. Except they are anything but free.

This morning, I weighed the most I have in over a year. 126 lbs. A year ago, I was closer to 116. This makes me want to...drink, of course. To forget. Except that's what I did Saturday and look where it got me - 3 pounds 'heavier'.

I don't know where the road ahead of me leads. Maybe it leads to weight loss, or weight gain. Whatever it is, at least I will be facing it sober.

Come to think of it, all of my quick weight gain has been after a night or two of heavy drinking, which can lead to heavy eating.

If I were to lose again, maintenance would be much easier without the complications of alcohol.

But my weight is secondary to my sobriety.

I can't even describe the hope I have.

"Your love surrounds me when my thoughts wage war
When night screams terror, there Your voice will roar
Come death or shadow God I know Your light will meet me there
When fear comes knocking, there You'll be my guard
When day breeds trouble, there You'll hold my heart
Come storm or battle God I know Your peace will meet me here."
-"Prince of Peace", Hillsong United



No comments:

Post a Comment