Monday, September 19, 2016

Thyroid frustration.


I'm very frustrated, but I know it's an emotional response. I need to remind myself of what is true. I weighed in heavier than I would like this morning, although I know some of that is water weight due to my period.

I got my bloodwork back, and my doctor said it was 'normal'. While it is true that most of the levels were in the standard range, that does not mean they are optimal.

While my TSH level is normal, my T3 level is at the lower 15% of the standard range. This can be an indicator of hypothyroidism, a condition that my other symptoms seem to indicate. These symptoms are:

1. 10 lb weight gain over the past 10 months despite eating ~1200 calories per day and exercising. Most days I net <800 calories.
2. Constantly cold, especially hands and feet
3. Sleepy and lethargic
4. High LDL cholesterol
5. Unresponsive to changing antidepressants
6. Unresponsive to diet changes (cutting white sugar/carbs)
7. Unresponsive to additional supplements
8. Unresponsive to abstaining from alcohol

Next steps:
Plan A. Email back to doctor to see if she agrees to try treatment to bring the low level back to the middle of the range.
Plan B. Request referral to endocrinologist if not
Plan C. Already have appointment October 17 with an endocrinologist.
Plan D. Keep trying different doctors until I get one who will agree to try treatment.
Plan E. Experiment with alternative treatments for hypothyroidism (not ideal, but worst-case plan).

It's going to be okay. I will figure this out. I didn't gain all the weight overnight, and it's going to be a process to get this improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment