Sunday, September 25, 2016

Whole30: An Experiment

On Friday afternoon, I saw a friend's post on Facebook inviting anyone who wanted to join her in doing the Whole30 food plan for the next month. I didn't respond, but the idea got me thinking and I started to do some research.

Whole30 is often succinctly described as "squeaky-clean Paleo." It is a 30-day challenge to follow the following plan:
  • No added sugar of any kind (including artificial sweeteners - even stevia is out)
  • No refined carbohydrates (i.e. pasta, bread, crackers, etc)
  • No dairy
  • No corn or grains
  • No alcohol
  • No legumes
  • No oils other than coconut and olive oils
  • No 'Paleo substitutes" for baked goods
  • Nothing with MSG or sulfites
  • No weighing or measuring yourself for 30 days! This may be the hardest part for me.

So that is what is out. What's in:
  • All kinds of vegetables with the exception of corn
  • Fruit (in moderation)
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Meat and seafood
  • Potatoes (I don't like regular potatoes so I will be sticking with sweet potatoes)
  • Coffee and tea (with almond milk only)
I decided to start doing this today. In some ways it won't be too difficult, as I have been tapering into this type of diet over the past month with a conscious effort to reduce carbs. Total, I have reduced and/or eliminated my consumption of white carbs, sugar, artificial sweeteners except stevia, grains, legumes, soda, and alcohol. I've discovered a taste for almonds and coconut oil. The transition to Whole30 won't be without challenge, but it might be easier than the average person's.

What I hope to gain through this challenge:
  • A healthier relationship with food
  • Improved anxiety and depression
  • Less frequent headaches
  • Better quality of sleep
  • Fewer/no episodes of overeating. I think this is a likely outcome because my binges historically have been driven by carbs, especially simple ones and sugar.
  • More energy throughout the day *This is a big one. The past few weeks I have struggled with unusual physical fatigue and brain fog
  • While I know the focus of Whole30 isn't necessarily weight loss, I would not mind losing a few pounds. At the very least, I would like to stop the slow weight gain I've experienced over the past 10 months (10 lbs total). I think something hormonal may be going on, which I plan to look into, but I think this diet might be able to help with stabilization.
  • More...regularity. Which, I have already experienced this past months. I used to have days between...action, and now it has been an almost daily occurrence.
  • Fewer facial breakouts. I have already noticed this improving as I have reduced carbs.

A challenge like this would not be complete without some beginning stats. Here they are:
Weight: 128.4 lbs
Waist circumference: 26.5"
Butt: 36"
Thigh: 20.1"
Calf: 13.75"

And pictures.




I'm looking forward to the challenge and hopefully experiencing some good things.


No comments:

Post a Comment