Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 7.2: A good day to be sober.

Today (Saturday) was the toughest day so far.

My husband had a job-related crisis, and I needed to be there to support him emotionally.

And because I was not drinking, I was fully available.  If ever there was a time to be sober, it was then. Thank you, God.

But it was stressful, and it was Saturday afternoon. It would have been so easy to go out and get drinks to help ourselves feel better. I even said, "I wish there was a winery around here like there was at our old house."

We eventually settled on going downtown with no plan other than to just wander around until we saw somewhere interesting to stop and eat. And maybe drink.

I came so close.

But there was a breeze blowing, and there were people out and about, laughing and happy. Music was in the air, and the sun shone through the skyscrapers.

It was too perfect of an evening to ruin by drinking.

If I had gone downtown with the plan to drink, I would have missed seeing the beauty around me. I would have been focused on one thing only: getting a good buzz on, so THEN I could enjoy things.

But joy was already there. I didn't need to drink to have it. So I didn't.

And despite the crisis and the strain, it was a wonderful day.

Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment